Curious about what's happening in the stock market? Every month, the alooola® team summarizes the key takeaways in a quick, easy-to-understand article!
What do I need to know?
• Inflation is rapidly rising, causing the prices of goods and services to surge, with airfare prices skyrocketing 37.8%, fuel prices climbing 106.7%, and meat prices up 12.3% over the past year.
• The Federal Reserve has now increased interest rates by the highest amount since 1995, in the hope of controlling prices in order to slow down the economy.
• In response the S&P 500 has now fallen 23%, marking its worst start to a year since 1932.
High Risk, High Reward Pain
• The stock market is disproportionately affecting companies that have done well in the recent past.
• Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies fell to the lowest level in 18 months, more than 60% from their all-time high in November.
• The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index is down 27% this year, with many high-profile stocks— Netflix, Peloton, Roku, and DoorDash—suffering declines of 50% or more.
• Meanwhile your grandpas' stocks are doing well, with companies such as Coca-Cola, Kraft Heinz, and Procter & Gamble all seeing their shares rise 3% over the past month, compared to the S&P 500 which was down 5%.
Cocktail Party Facts
• US households are now spending $5,000 annually on gasoline, up from a rate of $2,800 a year ago.
Are you KIDding?
• According to experts, it costs around $250K to raise a child to adulthood in the US, excluding college education costs.
Start Investing Now!
• A 30-year-old making investments that gain 9% annually would need to invest $92 per week until they retire at age 65 to become a millionaire.
Want more details?
Watch this 2-minute video on what else is happening in the stock market!
Subscribe to Money Monthly updates straight to your inbox here: https://bit.ly/38pZXIF
Disclosure: alooola® is a branded investment advisory service provided by Glen Eagle Advisors, LLC, an SEC Registered Investment Adviser. The Glen Eagle Advisors brochure provides an explanation of the service and its fee structure. The material presented is for informational purposes only, and is not meant to be advice to any individual. Talk with alooola® to see how this information may apply to you. Consider your current financial situation, tolerance for risk, and investment objectives before you invest funds in securities through alooola. For a more complete explanation of the alooola® service, please visit www.alooola.com. This article includes factual data based on articles published by Reuters, Wall Street Journal, Barrons Magazine, Apollo Chief Economist Research, BofA Global Research, MFS Research "By the Numbers", and Bloomberg.
Download the alooola® app Today!